Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Christmas 2012 Bags for the Homeless!



 
 
 
 
It wasn't that long ago that my view of the homeless was negative, harsh, biased and unfair to say the least.  I mean, they're homeless.  Not everyone asks for it, but some put themselves there, right?  Whether it be drug abuse, trauma or simply a serious lack of motivation.  Most of us can't relate to them and cannot possibly comprehend how they got into the position they are in.  Or there are those people who feel bad for them and unwittingly hand them $5 thinking that they are going to buy food with it, when instead they may use it to buy beer.  Or perhaps you, yourself used to be homeless.
 
Then I FINALLY realized something(I'm a slow learner).  It's not up to us to decide whom to show love. 
 
 
 
 
 
“What marvelous love the Father has extended to us! Just look at it–we’re called children of God! That’s who we really are.” - 1 John 3:1 Message
 
 
Whether your a believer in Jesus or not, I believe we were all chosen.  Not one of us is more special than another.  It took me a looong time to realize that.  Just recently, I was given a BIG idea and was hoping that some of you would help me make it a reality this Christmas season.  I can't do this without YOU.  With your help, I would be honored to coordinate an effort to help our homeless this Christmas in the Dallas and Salem area.  This is a simple way to show a little Christmas love to the population of homeless that are the hardest to reach and could use a little recognition, especially this time of year.  There are many agencies that work hard at showing our homeless love.  This is another way that each family could do one big thing.
 
When I say homeless, I mean the HOMELESS.  Such as those that are living in tents in the Wallace Park and those who frequent under the W Salem Bridge.  My goal is for you to join me in reaching the definition of what homeless is in our area.  I am currently working on coordinating the effort with local Law Enforcement as they are able to provide valuable information and services.  I also think that their presence would make this effort even that much more special and safe for those delivering the bags.  The week of Christmas myself and perhaps a few of you will deliver the personalized bags to the recipients.  There are many details that still need to be worked out.
 
Here is the concept:
 
You fill a reusable shopping bag(s) and fill it with items that the homeless typically need.  Not only that, but include a personal note from the individual or family who packed it for them.  Make it personal for the recipient.
 
Can't pack a bag?  There are sooo many ways that you could help. Please let me know if this is something you would be interested in helping with and if so/if not, perhaps you could spread the word to someone else who may want to.  You can donate one bag, one tube of toothpaste, or one encouraging letter letting someone you don't even know that they were thought about this Christmas season.
 
If you would like to be part of this and pack your own bag for a homeless person this year, here is the information:
 
Please keep the bags unisex and only put into the bags what will fit into a standard size reusable grocery bag. So when buying socks, hats, gloves, etc. buy for a standard size man and choose unisex colors for all items if possible(I understand if you can't!). Please, please include a letter from you or your family to the person receiving the bag, maybe even pictures made by your kids! The following is a list that I came up with. Feel free to add or delete your own items as you wish and only put in what you feel like or can financially give. 

rain poncho
stocking cap
gloves
socks
underwear
bandannas
scarves
handwarmers
band aides
batteries
candles
matches/lighters
flashlights
bibles
ziplock bags of all sizes
tissues
washcloths
sewing kits
ready to eat snacks/food
candy
notepad/pen
activity books
deck of cards
travel size shampoo
soap
wet wipes
chap stick
comb/brush
deodorant
toothbrush
toothpaste

Have fun! You have no idea what your bag is going to do!

I would like to have the bags by Dec 15th so there is ample time to get things organized and the bags distributed.  If you have items that you would like to donate, please get ahold of me!  Thank you so much for any help that you are able to give.  I'm so excited to see what can be done through one small act of kindness.


You can find me on Facebook or email me at katiehausman@hotmail.com!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment