Monday, December 12, 2011

It is what it is.

This really is my favorite saying.  I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've said it.  I don't like to beat around the bush or candy coat things for the most part.  It just is what it is.  Isn't that life?  Sometimes I get caught in this trap of thinking that my problems are bigger than anyone else's.  That what is going on in my life must be more dramatic than other people's.  I think most of us get caught in this frame of mind from time to time.  Most of us realize that we don't have it worse off than everyone and that our problems don't trump everyone else's.  Some of us don't.

I've wondered to myself why I got handed the cards that I did.  Not because I don't like the cards, but because sometimes I wish I had a different hand.  Why do I do that?  Is it because the hand I was dealt was so crappy?  Do I really have good reason to feel this way?  It's at times like these that I really sit back and evaluate my life. 

What would it take for us to be content, happy?  Would our circumstances have to perfect?  I think that is the trap.  Whenever I find myself wishing for something more or for different circumstances, it's because everything in my life isn't exactly perfect...and easy.  No one ever said it was going to be easy.  And as certain as that, no one ever said it was going to be perfect.  PERFECT.  Hmmmm, that word brings only one person to mind.  Jesus.

Jesus is and will be the only perfect human being to walk this earth.  We cannot compare ourselves to Him when it comes to our own attempts at perfection.  We can only hope to attain a portion of what Jesus did.  And he said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God."  Luke 16:15

WHOA!  Hold the phone!  What are you exalting?  Is it your self pity?  Your self righteousness?  Your bitterness?  Are you upset because you can't buy what you want?  What is it?  I know I've been there.  I struggle with this too people.  Think about it.

We are a society that is hell bent on accumulating stuff and portraying ourselves in a unrealistic way.  We feel that need to get more, buy more, have more than the next person or we just don't quite feel....American, accepted, good enough, cool, whatever it is.  We feel ashamed to admit that we can't buy something because we don't have enough money.  Not having enough money would be like admitting failure.  But why?  Doesn't this have something to do with not being humble?  Oh believe me people, I totally relate to this.  It's hard to tell someone that you are broke or that you can't go do something because you don't have the money.  It's shameful, but why?  In the same way, we feel like we must portray our relationships as perfect, or at least better than what they really are.  We feel like our kids need to be the smartest or at least the best at something.  Jesus says this:

But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, "God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble."  James 4:6

Through our humility we will recieve God's grace.  If we are not humble, God himself tells us that he will oppose us.  Where is the pride in your life?  Where do you need to let go and humble yourself? 

So many of us have much more than we need.  There are many others around us who don't.  Perhaps if we haven't already we should look to give our surplus to others and be the blessing that we were made to be.  Even if you don't believe in God, you know that giving of yourself and your possessions to others is something that us humans get great pleasure from. 

Many times the trials of our lives include our kids, our marriage, our family, etc.  We compare our own to someone else who seems to have it so much better.  The life you have is yours.  Accept it, own it, find something to be thankful for.  Be the change that you want to see in your marriage, at your workplace or your church.  And never forget those that God has set before you as an example of thankfullness.  We all have or have had those people in our lives that make us thankful for our own health or happiness.  There is always someone who has it worse off than you do.  Help them instead of focusing on what you don't have or what you wish you had.  Or honor their memory by choosing to look ahead instead of back.  "Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!" 2 Corinthians 9:15

Ya know, life really is just what it is.  Be thankful, keep your focus and have a giving heart.  I'm sure gonna try.  Cuz ya know what?  I have an abundance of things and people to be extremely thankful for. 

1 comment: