Friday, April 15, 2011

Entitled

Are we really entitled to anything? We act like we are. Some more than others. The state that our nation is in with all of the entitlement programs there are. It's a tough subject. There are many programs that do a lot of good for good people, but for the most part, they breed entitled, helpless people who get trapped in a cycle. They don't know how to do anything for themselves anymore and become comfortable with settling for less. I want to be mad at these people and sometimes I am. But when I really take time to think about it, I feel pity for them. It may seem as if they are getting a "free ride" and "handouts", but they are missing out on something huge. I have a husband who works and provides for our family. We don't have a lot, but we have enough to get by with what we need and a few added blessings. There is little more satisfying for a man than being able to provide for his family. On the flip side, a woman gains great satisfaction from taking care of her family and having a husband who values the family and provides for their needs. The people who are on these entitlement programs miss out on that. God created us for something so much more than that. He created us for so much more than this!
When I was reflecting on this issue, something struck me. It made me wonder what the USA would be like if we didn't have these entitlement programs. Where would the USA be? How would the people survive? Could we survive? What would happen if the government ran out of money today and all these programs were shut down overnight? There would be a lot of shock, a lot of devastation, but what else? Would people rally together to take care of their own? Or are we so far displaced from compassion, our humanity to care for those that would be hurting? Would we sit and watch as all those "entitled people who had it coming" suffered? I would like to think I wouldn't. I would like to think I would take it as a call to action. I know that personally, this entitlement problem has dulled me. I have allowed it to give me the mindset that the government will take care of it.
We can't settle for this. Jesus commands us to love our neighbor as ourselves. Believer or not, are you willing to do that? We are all human. I believe in Jesus. God created us all, imperfect. Many of us are hard to love, period, but God calls us to something more. We are to help our families and our neighbors.
Personally, I am so blessed. I know that if I went through a hard time my family, friends and church family would see me through it. I know that not everyone can say the same. But...why not? Although my family is blood, I also have a church family who would see me through ANYTHING. Something to consider.
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment