Sunday, April 17, 2011

It's about time.

I got baptized at church today. What an amazingly awesome experience. I have to be honest. I wasn't overly excited about the idea of being baptized. I didn't fully understand the concept and dismissed it as something unneccesary. The fact that I HATE water also didn't help. Either did the fact that at our church they completely dunk you! Dunk sounds wrong, but you know what I mean right? Well, just when I think I had managed to justify my way out of being baptized for the past 2 years, our Pastor just HAS to announce that he wants to do a baptismal service and Jesus HAD to lead me to say "me please!".

So, Palm Sunday. Not a better day right? When I started learning more about baptism I came across scripture like this:

► Romans 6:3-5 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.

► I Peter 3:21 This is a symbol of baptism, which now saves you also - not the removal of dirt from the body, but the answer of a good conscience toward God, it saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

► Galatians 3:26-27 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for as many of you as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

► Mark 16:15-16 And he said unto them, Go into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved, and he that disbelieves shall be condemned.

When I heard the choir sing right before the baptism, it ALL made sense. The song was amazing. I then realized that what the Pastor was saying about baptism applied to me too(duh!). I was doing this not only because I should. It was an act of obedience to God. It was a testimony to my faith, an announcement to the body of believers that I believe! it was really awesome how God brought the importance and significance of it all to me right before I went up to be baptized with the others. It was a great experience and huge blessing for me. It really signified for me my walk with Jesus. He brought me to him 2 years ago. I'm so insanely thankful.

The church even brought the kids from their classes to watch the baptism. The feeling I had when my kids talked to me about it was indescribable. I pray I get to see those precious babies be baptized someday and cheer from the pews, thanking my Savior.

2 comments: