Sunday, August 28, 2011

Need a little help from your friends.

There are those times in your life when you have to learn to depend on other people.  This is one of those times for my family.  Dustin has had ulcerative colitis for 12 years.  If you don't know anything about ulcerative colitis, it's a disease that affects your colon.  This disease is an ugly one that causes a lot of intestinal problems.  Dustin has been dealing with the flare ups for the past 12 years, but this past June, it all came to a head.  To make a long, grueling story short, Dustin spent 3 months in the worst pain and health of his life.  He ended up not being able to work and lost about 30 pounds.  Something had to be done.

This past week Dustin had surgery.  The surgery consisted of his large intestine(colon) being removed.  The surgery is called a j-pouch, where they reconstruct a colon made from stretching your small intestine downward.  It's not going to be an easy recovery, but we are thankful that the disease is GONE.  In about a years time, Dustin should be able to live a fairly normal life in terms of...well...poop.

Needless to say, this has been an extremely difficult time for my family.  Dustin has been so weak since June that he can't do much to help around the house or with the kids.  It's been hard on all of us and it has really forced us to depend on others for help.  It is really incredible how much you learn about yourself and your friends and family during a crisis like this.  You learn that there are those family members and friends that are absolutely amazing, who will drop everything to help you.  The dependable people, who you know will do what you need. 

It has taught me a lot about myself too.  I don't like asking for help and it's hard for me to receive it.  I think God knew I needed a lesson in this, and a lesson it has been.  I have been overwhelmed by the help that we have and will continue to receive through this.  I am thankful.  I am seeing answer to prayer every single day and it's really cool.  You awesome people, you know who you are and I thank you more than words can say.  It is truly honorable when someone does what they say they are going to do for you and you can trust that they will.  When you are the person in need, you find comfort in that knowing, in that security that the person can give you.

I have also learned something else through this.  To have faith, no matter what the circumstances.  There have been a few times during this ordeal that I have been mad at God.  Just the other day I found myself asking God, why?  Why did you do this, I have had enough for now!  I was at the hospital with Dustin and got a call from my sister that Ida was covered in a rash all of a sudden, it was a bad one too.  I had to rush home from the hospital, in a panic.  I had hit my max, I just couldn't take anymore and I was mad that God would allow this to happen.  I just said a simple prayer, asking God to work it out, that I NEEDED Him too because I couldn't.  He did.  Then I was reminded of this verse today in church:

"No temp­ta­tion has seized you except what is com­mon to man. And God is faith­ful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also pro­vide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 1 Corinthians 10:13

In the midst of my trials, I was tempted to give up.  I wanted to quit.  He didn't let me and I am glad.  He put the right people in my life and the strength to get through it.  I need a little help from my friends and I am thankful that they are delivering.  I look forward to being able to give back. 

We will get through this.  We will persevere.  We are a family after all, and families stick together, no matter what comes our way.

"Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;  perseverance, character; and character, hope."  Romans 5: 3-4

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    I am so far out of any loop that I had no idea you (or Dustin) were going through this. My heart goes out to you and I will pray for your family every day.

    With love and support,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete