Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Coconut oil

Now that I am writing this post, I was trying to think about how I first got introduced to coconut oil and I can't remember.  I am sure it was during some crazy internet search that led me to this wonderful oil that I now know and love.  So, what is so special about coconut oil?  Well, a lot of things.

Don't panic when I say that coconut oil is made from 90% saturated fat.  Remember the blog post I did on the difference between healthy and unhealthy fats?  If you don't, read it here.  Well, coconut oil actually increases your good cholesterol and decreases the bad cholesterol.  There is information out there that will tell you the opposite, that anything with saturated fat is going to clog your arteries and give you a bad cholesterol report.  I encourage you to do your research and come to your own conclusion, but I don't believe that.  The reason that coconut oil is different from some other unhealthy saturated fats is because it is so quickly absorbed and used by the body.

Nearly 50% of the fatty acid in coconut oil is lauric acid.  Lauric acid has wonderful benefits for our body including adverse effects on bacteria, yeast, fungi and viruses.  Lauric acid is actually a main component of breast milk and helps to protect babies from illness.  Don't take this information lightly.  These benefits can also be achieved from external use.  Coconut oil's antibacterial and anti fungal properties can help with common skin ailments many of us suffer from.

Let's talk about the uses for coconut oil.  I am sure there are a lot more uses than what I do, look into it.  I use coconut oil for cooking as much as I can.  Now, I use cold expeller pressed coconut oil.  It is hard and smells and tastes like coconut.  Anything other than cold pressed is junk if you ask me.  Better than margarine, but not the best.  Keep in mind, you can't use coconut oil in place of all oil used in your home because it does have a sweet taste to it.  You have to experiment with it and see what works for your taste buds.  I will use coconut oil for things like frying veggies, pancakes, quesadillas, etc.  What ever I can't use coconut oil for I use butter or olive oil(extra virgin).

Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer.  I don't buy any lotion anymore because it's mostly all horrible.  I use all coconut oil, including on my face and in my hair in place of gel or conditioner.  I also use it as the main ingredient in my homemade deodorant.  Have questions?  Just ask me, I would be happy to elaborate further.

The real problem fats in our diets come from trans fats.  You get these trans fats from products such as margarine and refined, highly processed oils.  In our house, we use either real butter, coconut oil or olive oil for our FATTY needs!  In my opinion, these are the fats that are best for us.  Real fats, that are used and expelled from our bodies.  Now, let me say this.  All fats need to be consumed in small amounts.  Too much of anything(other than Jesus) is a bad thing.  Just because these fats are "good" for you, doesn't mean that you can consume as much as you want and stay thin.  Use common sense.

We have been lead to believe that anything high in saturated fat is automatically bad for us and should not be consumed.  This is simply not true in my opinion.  It comes to a point where you have to make a decision for yourself and your family.  What kind of fat are you going to consume?  Is it going to be healthier oils like coconut, olive oil and real butter or are you going to purchase margarine, spray butter and canola oil?  Whatever choice you make is going to make a positive or negative impact, and I encourage you to do the research and make the right choice.  We have truly been misled and it's time we stop listening to marketers who only want to make a buck and start depending on our own smarts.  Always remember, the closer to it's natural state, no matter what it is, is best.

1 comment: