Thursday, September 27, 2012

Jealous of John




Revelation is my favorite book in the Bible.  Well, I guess when I say favorite, that means my favorite book in the Bible that I have actually managed to read.  I have tried to read the Bible all the way through, but have failed each time.  Lord, you lost me at Kings.  What can I say?  I'm imperfect, a sinner...and apparently undisciplined.  When I read the book of Revelation, it's like I'm reading an exciting Sci-fi or Fantasy novel.  I just picture Jesus riding in on his horse and kicking butt!  Can I mention something at this point...I am embarrassed to admit all of this. 

When I picture John at the feet of God almighty himself, I can't help but feel one thing.  Jealousy.  I mean, why couldn't it have been me?  I totally could have done that, right?  Yeah right, I would have been a complete nutcase up there.  It begins like this...wait..and yeah, I kinda picture the Bible in candle light, all creepy-like...



The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,  who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.  Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.  Revelation 1-3

Hold the phone.  Can you even imagine this?  Being the one that God chose to catch a glimpse of what He was going to do, to see His prophecy???  To bring this in to modern times, this would be like winning a trip to Disneyland(if you're 5) times a gazillion times a gazillion.  Realistically, it can't even be comprehended.  John, you lucky dog.

After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”  At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it.  And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and ruby. A rainbow that shone like an emerald encircled the throne.  Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads.  From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. In front of the throne, seven lamps were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God.  Also in front of the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal.  Revelation 4: 4-6

Okay, could you seriously even begin to imagine this?  Walking in to a place where the Lord himself sits?   The beauty, the fear and awe that you would feel is absolutely unimaginable.  I would feel so small and insignificant, yet so overwhelmed by the opportunity to be there.  John, I'm trying to be happy for you, but still a little jealous.

In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back.  The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle.  Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying:
“‘Holy, holy, holy
is the Lord God Almighty,
who was, and is, and is to come.”" Revelation 4: 6-11

At this point, I would really hope that my wordly desire to stare uncomfortably wouldn't surface.  I'm not certain that I could resist the temptation to gawk while my jaw hits the floor.


 
 
I could totally see myself doing something stupid like this.
 

"Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders.  In a loud voice they were saying:
“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!”

Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:
“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!”
The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.:  Revelation 5: 11-14
 
Yeah, at this point I would probably fall down and worship too.  While blubbering like an idiot and begging for forgiveness for all of the horrible things I have done in my life.  I wonder if I could even look God in the eyes.  I picture myself feeling shame, yet overwhelming relief and forgiveness at the same time.   

Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, because the time is near.  Let the one who does wrong continue to do wrong; let the vile person continue to be vile; let the one who does right continue to do right; and let the holy person continue to be holy.”  Revelation 22: 10-11

Right now I would be wondering if I was the vile one being referred to.  I am definitely considered vile sometimes.  I'm not exactly considering myself who I want to be when I get to meet God.  Makes me think about what kind of work I need to allow Him to do in me.  Because bottom line, we are being allowed to make our own mistakes and to choose between following our own way or His.


“Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.  Revelation 22: 12-13
 
Whether we want to admit it or not, we will all sit before the throne of God.  Some of us want to get there sooner than others.  Some still feel like they have a few things to get in order before they leave.  Others deny that they will ever sit before the throne.  No matter what, your time will come.  The time that you will sit in absolute, shuddering and incomprehensible awe of the Creator, just like John did.  Except for John, it was just a glimpse.  My puny mind thinks it will be a time for recounting our lives and finding out what place our Creator has for us.  Until our time comes, we can only imagine what it would be like to sit in the presence of almighty God.
 
Me personally, I'm hoping for a seat in the herbal clinic.  Where I would get to tinker with all of the wonderful plants He made for us to heal one another with.  I could ask God what the top 10 essential oils are.  Oh wait...I'm forgetting that there won't be anything to heal...since He is the Great Physician and all.  Oh well, it was a good dream while it lasted.

Until then, Lord please give me a Revelation!  I really want to shape up before I finally get to meet you.
 




2 comments: