Saturday, September 1, 2012

Stocking your medicine cabinet for winter...Hippy Chick style.



With winter approaching, I have started thinking about what kinds of things I want to have on hand for the cold and flu season.  I have been caught without supplies and a sick child and been very upset with myself.  So many times, if we have the right supplies, we can nip it in the bud before it turns into something much more serious.  Here is a list of things that I would absolutely NOT be caught dead without this winter.  For the sake of time and your attention spans, I will only list a few things, but I could go on and on!  I hope that you all can dig deeper and expand your medicine cabinets the healthy way.




 
Essential oils including eucalyptus, cinnamon, lemon and tea tree(these are some of the more affordable ones).  If you really want to start getting funky with it, add others like Cedarwood, Lavender, Sweet Orange, Myrrh, Peppermint, etc!  There are sooo many other good ones, but let's start there.  Apply the oils(just a drop or two) at the first onset of a cold or cough, using a little oil of your choice as a carrier(such as coconut oil).  Good alternative to Vick's.  Rub on chest and bottoms of the feet a couple times a day or more.  Don't forget to purchase GOOD oils, they won't do the job if they are crap.  I go through Mountain Rose Herbs.
 
 
A good moisturizer for all the dry skin and also for applying your essential oils.  I prefer either coconut oil(raw, unrefined) or Tamanu oil.  Mix the two together and you get a great consistency for that dry winter skin, cracks, etc.  Add a little Vitamin E oil in there and you'll really be lovin' it.
 
 
Echinacea.  I buy it in a dropper bottle, straight stuff.  There are a lot of products out there likes teas and such, which I'm sure are great, but the straight stuff is what I like.  Echinacea works wonders with any type of illness.
 
 
Vitamin C.  Seems like a no brainer, but make sure you are stocked up.  I take it in a capsule(absorbs better) or you can get the powdered stuff(like Emergen-C).  I take it every few hours during the day when I am sick. 
 
 
Multi-Vitamin.  Be sure you are taking your daily vitamin to keep your immunity up.  Prevention.  Like anything, there are crappy vitamins and good ones.  Do your research.
 
 
Electrolytes.  The last thing you want to do is have yourself or child start puking and you have no electrolytes on hand.  I prefer coconut water, because it's the absolute healthiest and best.  I try and steer clear of Gatorade and the flavored Pedialyte because I don't see how high fructose corn syrup is going to help me or my child when they are sick...  So I try and stick to the coconut water, unflavored Pedialyte or the packets of powdered electrolytes(electrolyte stamina power pack by Trace Minerals Research).  Hammer the stuff down immediately, because once your electrolytes are off balance, you're in a heap of trouble.
 
 
Colloidal Silver.  Use as directed, please.  A natural alternative to antibiotics.  I have used this with great results for the last few years and wouldn't be without it.
 
 
Some good, raw honey.  Excellent for a sore throat, not to mention it's healing properties.  I will give my kids a spoonful(they don't object) when they complain of a sore throat.
 
 
 
 
So there ya have it.  What wouldn't you do without this winter??
 
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment