Sunday, September 11, 2011

McDonald's and why I think it's evil.




I have spent a lot of time researching McDonald's in order to prove my point of why they are evil.  My research has led to a lot of speculation and dead ends.  I wanted to find information that was completely disgusting and indisputable, but I just couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.   Well, I could find it, but I couldn't find a lot of it from credible sources that the masses would believe.  McDonald's has done a very good job at portraying themselves to the masses as a business that seeks to do what is in the best interests of their customers.  You know what?  I think that is the principal that McDonald's was based on in the beginning, but money made matters change in the long run.  It almost always comes down to money doesn't it?  God tells us in 1 Timothy 6:10 that "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

In 1940 the first McDonald's opened.  It was a car hop restaurant featuring a large menu.  In 1948 the restaurant became a fast food drive thru that featured only 9 menu items.   In 1949 the world famous french fries were introduced, replacing the chips that they had previously served.  In 1954 Ray Kroc gets involved with the McDonald's idea and it starts to spread like wildfire and by 1959 there were 100 restaurants.  In 1966 Ronald McDonald appears in his first TV commercial and is an instant hit.  In 1967 McDonald's goes international.  Currently there are restaurants in 117 countries worldwide.  In 1996 McDonald's went online.  From there on out, there have only been more and more changes making McDonald's as big and as widespread as one could possibly imagine.  McDonald's has become a huge enterprise and is making a lot of money off of consumers.  McDonald's does support charities, including the Ronald McDonald houses that provide a lot of services for those families with sick kids.  This is wonderful and I am glad that families have benefited from it.

As I said earlier, I had a hard time finding really great, scrutinizing information  to give you regarding how evil McDonald's is.  Here is the deal.  I don't think that there is a person I know that doesn't realize that McDonald's food is NOT healthy.  So, here is the question...why do so many of us still eat it?  I could list all of the reasons not to eat the food from McDonald's, but many of us still will.  McDonald's currently serves 64 million customers per day.  We eat the food because it is fast, cheap and easy.  But at what cost is that fast, cheap and easy food?

There is no doubt that McDonald's is buying their meat from factory farms.  They are most certainly NOT purchasing their beef and chicken from local and responsible growers.  Why does this matter?  Well, if you have been reading my blog, you would know that factory farm meat is very unhealthy and that buying meat from large factory farms is not helpful to our local community.  In addition, McDonald's is buying all of their meat, produce and dairy products from large franchises that don't exactly have other people's health at the top of their list.  McDonald's food is packed with unhealthy meats, sodium and sugars.  I guess you could choose to eat one of their salads, but why?  Really, what is the point?  Why go to McDonald's to eat something that you may have convinced yourself would be healthy?  Do you actually believe that McDonald's has your health in mind?  No, they don't.  McDonald's operates for one reason...to make money.  And they make a lot of it.

Okay, okay.  I know that all businesses operate to make money, so why am I being so hard on McDonald's?  Well, I believe that fast food is a huge contributor to our unhealthy food system and obesity problem.  There are numerous fast food chains that I could list on this blog as well and I am sure most of you know the names of those chains as well.  The point is that McDonald's is not a good choice for any of us.  No matter what way you look at it, there is no justification for McDonald's to be part of any one's diet, let alone something that is eaten every day or even a few times a week.  The food is absolutely unhealthy and will only lead to serious health problems.  Not only that, but every time you purchase McDonald's food you are supporting factory farms and big business. 

Believe me people, I am not perfect.  Just the other day we ate a pizza from Little Caesar's.  I know that it's hard to live in America and not give in to the temptations that are in front of us all the time.   I can truly say that I do not eat at McDonald's and haven't for the past year.  It disgusts me.  Little Caesar's should too.  I have some work to do, just like the next person.  McDonald's is the powerhouse.  I see it as the head of the monster and I want to see it go down.  Will you take it down with me?

Let me just ask you one question.  Do you believe that when you take yourself or your family to McDonald's that you providing them with a healthy meal?  If you could answer yes to this, I would seriously question your judgement.  It's not just about unhealthy food either.  It's about community and what type of businesses that we are supporting in order to benefit our community and not multi billion dollar companies.  Just think about it...please.  The only thing that we are to gain from McDonald's is constipation, clogged arteries and heart attacks.  Not to mention the detriment that is brought to the animals that produce the meat that is served in their establishment and the local farmers who are yearning for business.

I'm lovin' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment