Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tips for getting those little buggers to eat

If any of you have small children or know small children, you know that it is really hard to get those little buggers to eat.  Well, let me clarify...it's hard to get them to eat healthy.  I don't know about kids you know, but mine could live on candy and desserts if I let them.  Yesterday I about blew my lid when both kids asked me for a treat that ONE LAST TIME!!!!  I threatened to throw away anything in the house that even resembled sweetness.  They just stared at me like I was crazy and waited about 10 minutes to ask again.

Tip #1:  Try to keep the amount of sweets you have in the house down to a minimum.  If they are easily accessible, then we know that we are going to eat them and the kids will KNOW they are there.  They have a special sense for sugar. :)  Even if you had no treats in the house, the kids will still find a way.  If all else fails, my kids will ask for a spoon of honey.  Which brings me to my next tip.

Tip #2:  Find the lesser of two evils.  A spoonful of honey is a lot better than skittles.  Honey, within reason is actually good for us, extremely sweet and kids love it.  Make sure you get the unrefined stuff, it has the good stuff in it.  Also, there are a lot of organic options that you can choose to buy, such as hard candies and chocolate.  Okay, you anti-organic people, let me say something right here.  I am aware that candy is candy, however there are better choices.  Again, there is a big difference between organic candy versus those skittles.  The organic candy will be made from organic sugar( a lot better for you) and it won't contain artificial dyes.

Tip #3:  Give in.  We live in America and your kids will find that out sooner than later.  Our lives are full of endless temptations.  My family took a trip to Dairy Queen tonight to get a little ice cream treat.  I don't see anything wrong with that as long as you aren't going there every day.  I am not perfect, therefore I cannot expect my children to be.  I give in to temptations just like the next person.  Again, this is where not having the junk food in your home comes in handy.

Tip #4:  Get creative.  You know those days when you think..."I don't think my kids have had a fruit or vegetable to speak of in two days"?  I've had those days and I always feel really guilty and like a horrible parent.  That is when I have had those "creative moments" where I find ways to sneak in those healthy foods. 
  • My kids always want a snack before bed.  If it's been one of those bad days, I tell them that they can only have fruits and veggies for a snack.  They are used to that, so they say okay and pick their snack.  It usually consists of a couple different fruits or veggies on a plate and they eat it up really well.  Now, I know that cutting up fruits and veggies is a lot more difficult than putting some crackers in a bowl, but if it's important to you, you will do it.  Believe me, I have had those "crackers in a bowl" nights on numerous occasions, I am not trying to judge. 
  • Some of you may have read my blog post about my Vitamix.  If you haven't, it's a high powered blender(but much more).  I have made so many healthy things for my kids in the Vitamix.  If you don't have one, that's okay, just use the blender you have at home.  How about fresh applesauce with the macaroni and cheese.  Add in a banana or strawberry with it.  Kids love it.  If it's too tart, add in a little stevia to sweeten it up, maybe even some cinnamon on top.  This way you know that your kids are getting fresh, raw fruits with a suitable sweetener.  I have snuck a small carrot in there once too.  I have also done some really good sorbets with the Vitamix.  Add in the fruit(strawberries, bananas, apples, pears, whatever), some ice and stevia and give it a whirl.  Kids love it and eat it like a treat.  If you have frozen berries, mix some of those with stevia and milk and get "ice cream".  Your kids will eat it and like it, but if you really want to get excited about it you can add some whip cream on top.  Add sprinkles if they are REALLY hard to please. 
Tip #5:  Taste test.  We have a rule in our house.  You have to at least try whatever was put on your plate.  Bean hates broccoli and has tried it tons of times and still feels the same.  But, Bean knows that when we have broccoli, he is required to at least try a bite of it before he can decide that he doesn't like it.  Sometimes kids decide they don't like something even before they have tried it.  Or sometimes, it takes them up to 14 times to try something before they decide they like it.  Don't give up and realize that some tastes are truly acquired.

Tip #6:  Get them involved.  Involving your children in the cooking of meals plays a huge role in how much they are going to like it.  I am sure many of you have experienced this with children before.  I know that when I involve my children in the cooking, they think that the food is cool and tastes way better than if I were to prepare it by myself.  Obviously, this takes patience and can't be done every night, I totally understand that.  But, if there is a certain food that the family really wants to eat and perhaps one child is adamantly against it, try cooking with them.  It might make a huge difference.  As a matter of fact, just tonight Bean decided that he "loved" spaghetti squash.  Bean didn't like it the several times we had it last year...so what was the difference?  Bean cut the squash out of the garden and saw it being put in the oven and prepared.  He felt like he had a part in it and it made it taste good to him.  Bean had watched that squash grow from a seed.

Good luck.  Those little buggers can be hard sometimes.  Keep trying, their health is worth it.  After all, their eating habits will have a huge impact on the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment