Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pound Puppies.


The one on the far left, that's Bean.  He's the human.  Center is Chief, the best dog on the planet.  And on the right is Zeus, who is no longer with us.

Two years ago we decided that we were ready to accept another dog in to our home.  We can't imagine life without a dog.  We went to the pound and found Chief.  He was a stray they found wandering around and we fell in love.  Two years later he is alive and well, sleeping at the foot of my bed every night, entertaining my kids and valiantly protecting us from come what may.  Let's just say, that he is a diamond in the rough.  A success story of sorts.  His life's journey will end with me saying, "He was a good dog.  We'll never get another one like him".

There there was Zeus.  I ran across Zeus while searching craigslist and fell stupidly in love with his sad story.  The woman said that she couldn't keep him anymore and that he would be euthanized unless someone could take him.  We took him in.  He was 11 years old.  This is what I remember of Zeus....

He doesn't want to be alone and will eat your house alive when you leave.

Don't try to put him in a cage, even if it's metal.  He will eat through it.

If you want to leave the house, in order to avoid the above listed problems, you must take him wherever you go.

He will chase your chickens till the cows come home and no training can help that.

If you leave him alone and he escapes, which is inevitable, he will run miles away and the dog catcher will call you.  You will humbly go and pick him up, not once, but numerous times.

He is a major lover and will melt your heart.

He will sleep with your 4 year old son every night and wake up seriously early every morning and sometimes during the night, whining to be let outside so he could wander aimlessly at 2am.

He will will steal your 4 year old son's heart and play ball until you can't play ball any longer.


Zeus was the best, yet the worst dog ever.  One year later, we had to put Zeus down.  He wasn't a dog that any sane person could keep because of his troubles.  The local shelters couldn't take him because of his problems and could only offer us a humane death.  This was heartbreaking.  Especially since our son was madly in love with him and still says that Zeus was his best friend to this day!  I will never really know if I made the right choice and I have made bad decisions with furry friends in the past.  It is a learning process.

But here is what I've learned so far.  Do it anyway.  It's worth the risk.  Not all dogs are adoptable, not all are keepable, but they still deserve a chance.  Even if it's hard.

Please consider adopting a dog from your local shelter. 

Make sure it's right for you and that you are willing to do what it takes, come what may.

R.I.P. Zeus

Thank you, Lord for teaching me, slowly but surely how you want me to take care of your creations.

Thank you, Lord for sending me these precious animals to my care.  I only wish to do what is best.  Please help me, each step of the way.

2 comments:

  1. Zeus is the only dog I have ever let sleep with me. May he rest I peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Katie!!! Two of our very best "friends" were also pound dogs and beyond success stories!! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete