Sunday, July 8, 2012

Cow testicles and the outlandishly smelly dog.





Today was just one of those days.  You know what I mean.  The day started off with the gate accidentally getting left open and us looking out and seeing the cows in the yard.  Then we moved on to accidentally banding a calf whose testicles hadn't dropped yet.  Then while that whole debacle was happening one of the steers decided to hop the fence and run all over the universe with the exception of our property.  Well, then there's the cat.  She's been missing since yesterday and Bean's sad.  Then as I was feeling as if I was going to rip my hair out and get rid of every animal we own, the dog walks in the house smelling like...well, it can't even be described.  Needless to say, he needed a bath.  The entire day was spent outside, stressing over animal issues and trying to parent at the same time.  My house ended up a disaster and dinner never ended up getting made.  And then there was that play date that had to be cancelled.





Days like these in my life aren't common, but they aren't as uncommon as some of you may think.  Anyone who has 10 million animals like we do know exactly what I am talking about.  There are days where these critters make me the happiest woman on the planet and others where I feel like throwing in the towel.





It's days like these that really get me thinking about why we try and pretend to be farmers.  The learning curve seems to be hitting us from all sides lately.  From meat chicken disasters, a baby chick rescue mission, goat diarrhea and a new calf just in the past week alone, my head is spinning.  And may I point out that the biggest disasters always strike when my husband is at work??  





But then again, I guess the day wasn't a total loss.  We finished up the evening with two nude children spraying eachother with the garden hose while cracking up hysterically and my husband walking around outside spraying poison oak in nothing but a backpack sprayer, underwear and flip flops.


I guess all I can say is...it's a labor of love?   Maybe you should ask me tomorrow.





"Be strong. therefore, and let not your hands be weak and slack, for your work shall be rewarded." 2 Chronicles 15:7








2 comments:

  1. Ah, the joys of living a full life. You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way of looking at it! Well, we finally rounded the cow in this morning and the cat decided to find her way home as well. Things are looking up!

      Delete