Friday, March 16, 2012

"Mommy, are we gonna stay here forever?"



Ida has been asking me the same question for the past week, "Mommy, are we gonna stay here forever?".  She was asking this in reference to our home.  At first I told her that I thought we would, but we never really know what might happen.  She just kept asking.  So, I finally asked her "Ida, do you want to stay here forever?".  She said yes.   

Today is Ida's birthday and she turned 4.  As I was tucking her in to bed, Ida told me that she was 3.  When I told her she wasn't 3 anymore she got upset with me and insisted that after her birthday was over she would be 3 again.  Then came the pouty lip and the fighting back of tears.  I asked Ida, "do you want to be 3 still?" and she sadly said "yes".  I told her that we all grow up and she was too, to which she responded "I don't want to grow up".  Ah, heartbreaking.  I didn't tell her this, but inside I was saying "I don't want you to grow up either".

The deep thoughts of my 3, now 4 year old parallel my life in so many ways.  There are so many times that I wish we could just stay in the same place forever.  When things are going well we don't want it to change, we can't imagine it any other way and we want assurance that it's all going to STAY.  This can mean family, friends, possessions or anything else we hold dear.  One thing is certain, it can all go just as easily as it came and there is no one that can give us assurance that it won't.  There are times that I don't want to grow up either.  Sometimes aging can be a scary thing whether it be facing our own mortality, gray hairs or wrinkles!  Sometimes I don't want to be mature and make adult decisions.  Oh, to be a kid again!

God tells us that there are no guarantees in this world, only His promises to us.  In John 16:33 we are told  “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”   We will most definitely have troubles in this world.  Relationships will change, possibly suffer.  Possessions and security may come and go.  Health once taken for granted may fail.  In Proverbs 3:5-6 we are told to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your path straight."  So when I don't feel like making adult decisions, I can just ask Him.  I have the assurance that He will guide my path.

What about that aging thing?  Should I be concerned about my mortality?  John 14:2-4..."In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."  I don't need to be concerned with death.  And those gray hair and wrinkles...1 Samuel 16-17 "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."  Phew!

Revelation 21:4 reminds me that the things of this world, mortality and trials will only last for a short while..."He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Next time Ida asks me about forever or tells me she isn't sure about growing up...I know what I'm going to say.

Oh, and Ida...you'll always be my baby.

1 comment: