Saturday, March 3, 2012

Stuff




Okay, so I have been doing a major overhaul at my house lately.  I have been going through every room in the house and getting rid of "stuff".  I'm not really sure what brought this on, but I do know that I had this overwhelming feeling that I was in a little too much bondage to this "stuff".  I started in my bedroom.  I literally downsized my clothes in half.  Now, for those of you who know me well, you would know that I am not exactly a fashionista, but I had waaaay too many clothes.  I had two huge stacks of t-shirts and was wondering to myself how in the world that happened.  What I ended up with was very little and it felt sooo good!!

I did the same thing in the other rooms of the house, just getting rid of the things that are no longer used or needed.  I was shocked by what I found.  I gave some away to friends and made way too many trips to Goodwill.  I still feel like I could have gotten rid of a lot more, but I figure that is enough for now.  When I was all done I felt amazing.  I couldn't believe how good it felt to get all of that "stuff" out of my life.  Why in the world was I keeping all of it?

Well, I have an idea.  Stuff makes us feel good.  Stuff makes us feel like we have things just like the next American.  Maybe your stuff determines your status.  Or maybe it gives you a high when you purchase it.  Maybe you think it's going to make your kids, your husband or yourself more happy and fulfilled.  Maybe you feel like you deserve it.  Perhaps you can relate to one of those.  We are all at different places in our lives.  Some of you may have gotten rid of your "stuff" already.  Some of you may be so consumed with your "stuff" that it's turned into a full blown addiction and lifestyle.  Wherever you are, I ask you to consider something.  What are you accomplishing by having excess "stuff"?  And, why do you have such a hard time letting it go?

Yes, I understand that we all need things to survive like food, clothing and shelter.  Most of us need a car to get ourselves around.  I get that.  I also don't see anything wrong with enjoying extras if you have the income to do so.  However, there is a fine line here that can be crossed very easy.  This is when I have to do a heart check to find out why I am making the purchases and if I am purchasing too much.  How many pairs of shoes do you really need?  Do you really need the newest cell phone?  Do you really NEED a bigger house or do you really just want more room to store your stuff?  I also try to balance out my excess stuff with giving.  Have I given enough to those that are without?  If I haven't then I certainly can't justify frivolous expenditures.  It's really a balance for me.  I want to do right with my money, because it's His money first.  There are so many people around all of us who don't have much, who could really use those 15 extra pairs of shoes or your extra waffle iron.  It's so easy to get caught in the trap of greediness and hoarding your "stuff".  Been there, done that, probably will again tomorrow!  It's a constant struggle, well for me anyways.  You won't get away with out a couple verses that compliment this subject quite nicely :).

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."  1 John 3:17-18

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1 Timothy 6:10

"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7

All that stuff I took to Goodwill. It can all come back just as easily as it went. Just because I took a bunch of stuff to Goodwill and realized how great it made me feel doesn't mean that I am humble the next day. It's something that one must continually work on. I know for me, it's all about being thankful. Realizing that not having the cutest and most in fashion clothes or the coolest car isn't going to make me less of a person because the only one that should matter to me is God. God tells us "The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:17. Many times we are looking to the wrong "things".


Whenever I find myself with less I am more thankful for what I have.  I know that for myself, when I have too much I get overwhelmed by it and am unappreciative.  There are so many worthy recipients of your giving just waiting for that special someone to help them out.  Give it up!  Heck, give up all of it!  Well, at least spare yourself a change of clothes, public nudity will get you into some trouble.  As for me, I'm still working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment