Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Abortion and Homosexuality--Yikes!

These are hot topics. The reason I want to talk about it is because I have seen so much about it lately. I have strong opinions on abortion and homosexuality and...well...this is my blog. I'm venting! Some of you will agree with me and some of you most certainly will not. I have no desire to argue with anyone on these points.

Several years ago I had a very different view on abortion and homosexuality. In terms of abortion, I wasn't necessarily for it, but wasn't against it either. I thought abortion was okay in certain circumstances. I thought that if a woman was raped, molested or an unfit mother that abortion could be considered a option. I pretty much felt the same way about homosexuality. I personally didn't want anything to do with it, but I thought that it was a person's choice. I also believed that some people were born gay and couldn't really help it.

Well, then I became a mother and a believer in Jesus Christ. My opinions on abortion and homosexuality became more than opinions. They became a part of my values and beliefs, THE TRUTH. I know that not everyone that reads this blog is a believer, but I am. As a Christian, I turn to scripture to reveal the truth about abortion and homosexuality. I am no scholar, but I know how to read.  Here are just a few scriptures about the value of human life:

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" (Psalm 139:13-16).

I really love this verse. It describes how God has crafted each one of us in the womb. There are so many other scriptures that tell us that God knows each one of us even before we are conceived. To take that away is to take someone's opportunity to have a life, to make a difference in the world, to glorify God. Yes, that child may be born into an unfortunate circumstance or family and/or might live a life of pain and suffering. That might happen. No matter what circumstance a child is born in to, that child should be given a chance to live. How could we possibly know the life that the unborn child would live? How could it possibly be our jobs to put these unborn babies to death?

"If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life." Exodus 21:22-23

Why would God require the death penalty if He didn't consider the unborn child to be a human being?

Proverbs 6:16-17 says that God HATES those who shed innocent blood!

Who could possibly be more innocent that an unborn baby?

In terms of homosexuality, here are a few verses:

"In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." Romans 1:27

I think that verse is pretty clear...

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."
1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Harsh biblical reality.

It is so easy to get sucked in to this Hollywood idea that "love is all you need". This is not true. Believe me, I tried it and it didn't work. It's not all we need. We need truth. Geez, as I type this I realize how many people I'm probably upsetting. Maybe I shouldn't even post stuff like this. But ya know. I think that even as Christians, we get tied up in the idea that "love is enough" and start to falter in our beliefs and start adapting to what society is telling us is acceptable. The truth tells us loud and clear that homosexuality is not okay just because "times have changed". I will not allow "the times" to skew my judgement and lead me away from the truth. I want my kids to grow up and find their joy through Jesus Christ, something that will only happen if they are following His word and no one elses.

A little side note... My Dad brought a video to my attention awhile back and it is amazing. It's a story of a woman who lived through a failed abortion. The woman's name is Gianna Jessen. Look the videos up on Youtube. Please take the time to watch it, you won't be disappointed.

So yeah, I believe that abortion and homosexuality are wrong. Not just wrong, but sinful. We all sin, it's just too easy! I know I do my fair share of sinning. I don't hate people who have abortions or people who are gay, I disagree with them. Like I said before, I used to have a completely opposite view of the one I have now, so I understand where those with opposing views come from. I want to see them live the life that God intended for them.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way.  Wishful thinking I know.  It saddens when Christians become hateful and spread their views in the wrong way.  That was not my intention and if that is how you are taking this, you are reading through different goggles than mine.

Well, guess I got all that out. Now on to something like...baking bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment