Thursday, May 5, 2011

"I can't afford to eat organic."

That statement used to be one I made all the time.  A few years ago I started hearing about organic foods and how much better they were for us.  I wanted to provide healthy food for my family, but I used the excuse that I couldn't afford it.  Now I realize it really was just an excuse.  I would buy the cheapest food I could find at the store because I had convinced myself that was the best we could do with our grocery budget.  Then I went on my quest for more information.  Since then, we have changed our eating habits dramatically. 


My husband has a little "intestinal issue".  I started researching foods that would help his guts.  That is where it all started.  I learned so much.  I am still learning soooo much.  I read a few books and did countless hours of research on the Internet.  I consulted a few friends who knew way more than I did about this stuff.  I would like to share some of what I learned and how it has affected our family.


First and foremost, I learned that organic food should not be underrated.  I have heard a lot of people say that they don't think organic really means a lot, that it's just a marketing ploy.  Well, some companies may use their labels to mislead people and make money off of innocent people by claiming to be "natural".  Sure, that happens.  Now that we have that out of the way, let's get down to business.


Organic food is, well, organic.  Not all organic products are created equal, just like anything else we buy.  The organic produce I buy from a reputable local farm versus Safeway are very different.  The farmer I buy from uses no pesticides, healthy and organic soil and doesn't have to transport the produce long distances before I buy it.  Safeway, on the other hand, can call their produce organic however it's not the same.  In order for them to be able to call the produce organic they have to omit certain harmful chemicals from their produce, not all of them.  More than likely, the produce will not be grown in the healthiest dirt and the produce is going to have to be shipped long distances before it even gets to you.  The healthiest we can eat is straight from the vine, untreated and grown in healthy, enriched soil.


Pesticides and chemicals are in so much of what we eat.  Just type in pesticides in the google box and you will find more information that you will know what to do with.  You will find a long list of pesticides and the horrible things these chemicals do to our bodies from cancer to infertility.  I encourage you to do your own research on this if you haven't already.  You will be shocked by what you find.


I've also heard this one a lot..."I've eaten that stuff all my life and I'm perfectly fine!".  Really?  Are you fine?  I know that I don't feel fine eating those chemicals.  I also feel better when I am eating healthy, organic food.  Research will tell you that these chemicals build up in our bodies and weaken our immune system.  Some get more sick than others.  I personally am not willing to take that risk.  I am also not willing to risk my children's health on the hope that they are that one person in a million that can do whatever they want to their bodies and live to a 100 years old.


Don't get me wrong.  We are not perfect at this.  I still go out to eat with my family and enjoy the occasional chemical laden foods.  We don't do it often, but when we do I don't freak out.  Although I must say, I can't do McDonald's.  Evil!


Eating organic is NOT cheap.  It's very expensive.  We started eating meat only a few times a week.  When we started doing that I thought that my grocery budget would go way down.  I was really wrong.  It went up because we also started buying organic food and healthy meat.  Spendy!!  I have found, like with everything in life that I could only make it work if I really wanted it bad enough.  I did.  I wanted to eat healthy.  We have made it work.  I have to get crafty and shop smart.  I am not a couponer and don't do well at finding sales, so my craftiness is definetely where I save the most money.  I make a lot of things at home that I don't have to buy, such as bread, some sauces, food from scratch, etc.  There are certain things I have no desire to make myself and we budget those in.  It's all about what works for you and your personality and situation. 


Some organic is better than none.  Research the produce and other foods that are the most important to eat organic and start there.  That's what I did.  Each month I would find two or three more things that I could put on the organic shopping list.  Here is a look of the best and worst of the produce.  I found this off of a website:




12 Most Contaminated
  • Peaches
  • Apples
  • Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Celery
  • Nectarines
  • Strawberries
  • Cherries
  • Pears
  • Grapes (Imported)
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Potatoes
12 Least Contaminated
  • Onions
  • Avocado
  • Sweet Corn (Frozen)
  • Pineapples
  • Mango
  • Asparagus
  • Sweet Peas (Frozen)
  • Kiwi Fruit
  • Bananas
  • Cabbage
  • Broccoli
  • Papaya




One of the best ways to eat healthy and cut down on your food budget is to have a garden.  You can grow your own fresh produce for cheap.  You know where it came from, can eat it fresh and your wallet will thank you.  Whether you live in the country, or in town you can have a garden.  Whether it be 1 acre plots or planters on your porch, you can do it.  Something is better than nothing.  I am sooooo excited to start my first real garden this year.  I can't wait to see how much produce we are able to grow.


Best of luck on your organic endeavors!

4 comments:

  1. This is great. I use to say that too. I do shop Safeway organic but I will look into local farmers this summer. In fact Ashley and I just got back from the farmer's market and she was talking about how you guys went to the dallas char grill and I said I was surprised you would go there so it's nice to know that that you are still human :) I mean that in the nicest way possible... I look up to your knowledge about a healthy lifestyle. Keep the information coming. Oh and where do you get your produce locally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Whitney. I get most of my produce from Bridgeport Farm and Gardens out on Bridgeport Rd, out past Falls City. They have a place called Azure where you can also order produce and tons of other awesome products and groceries. I suggest you go out there and check it out. It's been nothing but amazing for our family.
    I also go to Life Source in Salem. I also buy from Safeway when I can't find produce from better sources. I do the best I can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your title drew my eye because I say that all the time. I appreciated your comments. I was wondering what do you do when there are no farmer's markets with fresh produce? In the summertime it's pretty easy to find fruits and veggies, but where else do you go? Thanks the the contaminated list. That is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! During the winter months when it's harder to find produce, I would suggest Trader Joe's or if you live in this area you can get on the Azure ordering list through Bridgeport Farm and Gardens. I will occassionally shop Safeway's organic produce, but try not to if I can. If you need to know more, let me know!

      Delete