Sunday, May 29, 2011

Saying goodbye is hard to do.

Very recently, I lost a very special friend.  About a year ago I met a very unique and wonderful woman named Neiki.  I was volunteering in the nursery at church and we started chatting.  Next thing I knew me and the kids were over at her house for the "tour".  I got to see all of Neiki's awesome goats and all the other animals and her beautiful home.  More importantly, I started a friendship like I had never experienced before.  We instantly bonded.  It was one of those things that can only be explained with one word...God.  Dustin and I started going over to their house for dinner and before we knew it, we were in love with Neiki and her family.  Neiki had a husband, Fred and two young kids, Leland and Olivia.  My kids loved their kids.  The bond was instant.  I truly felt like Dustin and I had known the family all our lives.  It was amazing and over the past year we have built an amazing bond and friendship.

Fred has an infectious smile and gives the best hugs.  Fred is deaf and Neiki signs like an angel.  Neiki can tell a joke better than anyone and has a laugh that is unmistakably hers.  Fred will surprise you with his sense of humor, although on the outside he seems so straight laced.  Neiki is a mother hen who tries to take care of everyone and does a pretty good darn job.  Fred is extremely loving and caring and impresses that upon everyone he meets.  Am I getting my point across?  They are great people.

Fred died recently.  It was a great loss.  It was a shock.  It was deeply sad.  It's been amazing to watch the family through this loss.  A family coming together to deal with what seems like an impossible situation.  Neiki's strength amazes me.

This family means the world to me.  I know that they have spread their love to many others as well.  I am so thankful for the time that I got to get to know Fred.  Fred showed me genuine love.  He taught me not to ignore the deaf person in the room, but to learn some sign and try to communicate, no matter how difficult it might be.  Fred was a husband, a father, a son, a teacher and a friend and there are many who will miss him.  Thankfully, we know where Fred is...

"In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.  You know the way to the place where I am going." John 14: 2-4

I look forward to watching this family persevere and honor the memory of this wonderful man.  Rest in peace Fred.  You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment