Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"No panties, no shirt"

Seriously.  These were lyrics I heard on the radio about 3 years ago.  I couldn't believe my ears.  I wouldn't have thought much of it, other than the fact that my son was in the car.  It changed everything...having kids that is.  I am not far removed from that kind of music and the inappropriate lyrics, music videos and clubs.  After I had kids and accepted Jesus Christ as my savior, things changed.  In my opinion, they had to.  I couldn't be okay with my kids listening to the type of music that I was accustomed to, nor watching the videos(eek!).

Ashley, my sister in law was with me that day.  It's still a joke to this day.  We sing the lyrics together and laugh.  On a serious note...I stopped listening to that music that day.  Since then, I have listened to no other music on the radio other than Christian music.  I have been so removed from the media that I am like...sheltered I guess.  I got a total shock tonight.  I was watching American Idol on tape and watched a performance by Lady Gaga.  My Mom tapes the show for me okay.  I'm addicted to AI, what can I say?  The performance was...shocking.  There had been performances on the show before that were a little risque, but this took it to a whole other level.  This chick was in a leather bikini and playing the piano.  Okay, she may just as well have had sexual intercourse with the piano.  I was shocked!!!   I thought it couldn't get worse.  Then, it did.  Jordan Rubin(I think that's her name) came on next.  If you don't know, she was a cute, sweet, young gal who won American Idol a couple years ago.  She got up there, completely grown up and dressed provocatively and sang a song with the lyrics "I am a woman, nobody else can do it like we can". 

Okay, after seeing Jordin perform, all I could think about was my own daughter.  Watching her made me wonder how I would feel if it were my daughter up there scantily clad, singing a song about women.  The song, in my opinion, portrayed women as sexual beings, who were all full of power.  What power exactly?  Sexual power?  So sick and wrong.  My daughter deserves so much more than that and has sooo much more to offer than that.  My son has something more to gain from a wife than that.  Please don't expose your children to this until they find it out for themselves. 

It's no wonder why girls and guys for that matter are in such a sad state these days.  They are exposed to complete garbage.  Get rid of it.  They will be exposed to enough as it is.  They don't need to see it and hear it all day at home. 

2 comments:

  1. The thought of lady gaga in a leather bikini sent chills down my spine.

    No panties no shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!! I remember thinking these same things when my kids were little and so vulnerable and so precious in the sight of the Lord!!! I made all those same changes too Katie in my life! I don't know one song in the 1980 era, because I too was in my own world listening to Christian music and raising my sweet little children and loving the Lord as a new Christian! I hope one day that they will know why I made those choices, even though back then, at the time, it seemed so odd and out of touch to some "caring" family members! The Beat Goes On.......because now it is my kid's turn to raise their own precious babies! I pray for them all!!!!

    ReplyDelete