Monday, May 23, 2011

B.O.

Body. Odor. Period. Of all the horrible, chemical laden hygiene products, I think deodorant is the worst.  The thought of anyone putting the store bought stuff onto their armpits makes me cringe.  I'm hoping that you will cringe after you read this.  Or you'll just ignore it and pretend everything is ok.  It's alright, I've been there.

I got the following info off of the web.  This is a list of ingredients spelled out for you that are commonly found in deodorant.  There is even a handy little description that tells you exactly why they are harmful:

Here are 7 ingredients to avoid when choosing your deodorant:
Aluminum chlorohydrate, aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly or any aluminum compounds. Aluminum is absorbed through the skin and accumulates in the body. It has been suggested that there is an association between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease.
Parabens (methyl, ethyl, propyl, benzyl and butyl), are all derived from toluene, a toxic petrochemical derivative. Toluene is toxic if swallowed or inhaled. It is also harmful in contact with the skin. There is some evidence that repeated exposure to toluene may cause reproductive harm. Since 2000, 13 research studies have shown that various types of parabens act like estrogen in animals and in tissue culture. Estrogen is known to drive the growth of cancerous cells.
Triclosan is a skin irritant and may cause contact dermatitis. It may kill healthy bacteria as well as harmful bacteria. It may contain carcinogenic contaminants. It is stored in body fat and is classified as a pesticide by the FDA.
Talc is classified as a carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer if it contains asbestiform fibers. The quantity of asbestiform fibers in cosmetic grade talc is unregulated. If talc is listed on the label, there is no way of knowing whether or not it contains asbestiform fibers.
Propylene glycol absorbs quickly through the skin and is a penetration enhancers. It may cause delayed allergic reactions. NIOSH says propylene glycol is a neurotoxin and may cause kidney or liver damage. The EPA says it's not fully investigated for carcinogenic potential.
Silica is a skin irritant. It may be contaminated with crystalline quartz, which is a carcinogen.
Steareth-n (n may be any number like say 100), may be vegetable derived but is reacted with ethylene oxide (ethoxylated), a known human carcinogen.

None of that sounds like anything I would want to be putting onto my skin.  I have looked in to buying "natural" deodorants, but they are really expensive and honestly I really don't know who I can trust.  There are a lot of "natural" products out there that contain harmful chemicals.  I don't know how those chemicals are considered natural, but that's just the way it goes.  I would make sure that YOU are sure about the source you are buying your deodorant from.  What do I use?  I make my own or I just don't wear it.  Most days I don't even wear any deodorant because I'm not a girly girl and I really don't care if I might have a little B.O. by the end of the day.  I do wear it sometimes and this is my recipe:

Equal parts baking soda and cornstarch mixed with cold pressed coconut oil  - you were expecting something more huh?  Nope, that's it.  Pretty simple. 

I just put in enough oil to make it the consistency that I like.  I add some essential oils to it if I'm feeling sassy.

I put the deodorant in containers that I ordered online.  They are actual tubes that you can turn a dial on.  They work good and they weren't very spendy.  You can also run them through the dishwasher and use them again.  It's a lot cheaper to make it yourself.

If your using the excuse right now of "I need something stronger, that just won't work for me".  Let me say this to you.  Are the risks worth it?  Read the list of toxins again.  Good luck.  Do some research.

No comments:

Post a Comment