Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Huff this!



Essential oils, oh the wonders.  I have grown to love my oils in a serious way.  It's going to sound kinda weird, but I find myself just staring at them sometimes, so glad that I discovered them and their endless uses.

I have avoided doing a post about essential oils for a long time.  I finally realized why.  There is so much amazing information about them, that I just knew I couldn't fit it all in!  That's when I realized it's not up to me.  It's up to you to do the searching if you want to.


So, what is so great about essential oils you ask?  Well, let me tell you!!

 
Essential oils are the highly concentrated, volatile(in a good way!), aromatic essences of plants. Essential oils contain hundreds of organic constituents, including hormones, vitamins and other natural elements that work on many levels. They are 75 to 100 times more concentrated than the oils in dried herbs.  In other words, they are super duper concentrated forms of the healing plants they come from.  They pack a lot of punch.

So, first I must ask you.  Do you believe that plants can heal us?  If you do, I would highly suggest you start using essential oils as part of your daily routine and more importantly as part of natural healing. 

There is a ton of information out there on essential oils and their uses.  I would find yourself a good source whether it be a favorite website or book to be your guide.  There are some precautions that you will need to be aware of, so please read up on them.  Nothing scary folks, it's typically telling you not to ingest certain oils or to use a carrier oil when using.  

There are hundreds of essential oils out there and choosing between them can be extremely hard.  I have been using them for the past couple of years and I am still only a beginner.  One thing I have found out is that you MUST pick a good quality essential oil to get the medicinal effect that you are looking for. 

I have looked into it A LOT and my favorite spot for excellent quality, pure oils is from Mountain Rose Herbs, which is right out of Eugene.  Another reason I love Mountain Rose Herbs so much is because their site it not only good for ordering essential oils, but it is a WEALTH of information.  You can click on any essential oil and then click on "learn more" and it will give you all the information you need on the oil and it's uses.

I find myself doing searches online regularly when I need to find out what the best oils are for healing certain ailments.  For example, if you have a fungus among us, you can find a good anti fungal oil, such as cedarwood.  Or if your kids have a really bad stuffed up nose you will find that rubbing peppermint and/or eucalyptus oil will help them breathe better.  The internet is a wonderful tool, but I seriously suggest finding a good essential oil book.  If you find a great one, let me know because mine kinda sucks and I've yet to find that "one".


 What are my favorites?  Oh, there are too many, but I will pick my top 3, just to get your wheels turning.  The information will come courtesy of Mtn. Rose Herbs.

1.  Cedarwood.




"Properties: Antifungal, antiputrefactive, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, astringent, diuretic, expectorant, insecticide, regenerative, sedative, tonic
Benefits: Acne, air purifier, anxiety, arthritis, bronchitis, cellulite, coughs, dandruff, dry skin, fungal infections, immune stimulant, insect repellant, nervous tension, rashes, rheumatism, ulcers. Cedarwood is a good addition to a hair tonic, and gives the aroma a long lasting undertone."


2.  Peppermint.




"Properties: Analgesic, anesthetic (topical), antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, carminative, cholagogue, cordial, digestive, emmenagogue, expectorant, febrifuge, insecticide, nervine, sedative, stimulant, stomachic, vasoconstrictor, vermifuge
Benefits: Acne, asthma, bronchitis, cholera, colds, cough, cramps, dermatitis, diarrhea, exhaustion, fainting, fever, flatulence, flu, gaseous indigestion and irritated colon, halitosis, headache, hysteria, indigestion, insect bites, kidney stones and gallstones, mental fatigue, migraine, motion sickness, mouth or gum infections, muscular pain, nausea, nerve pain, nervous disorders, neuralgia, palpitations, poor circulation, respiratory disorders, sinusitis, toothache, travel sickness, vertigo, vomiting. DIffusing peppermint into the air may help with many ailments, from headaches to an upset stomach."

I also use peppermint to flavor my homemade toothpaste.


3.  Orange.




"Properties: Anticoagulant, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, bactericidal, carminative, cholagogue, digestive, diuretic, expectorant, fungicidal, hypotensive, stimulant, stomachic, tonic
Benefits: Asthma, colds, cough, depression, flatulence, hypertension, indigestion, infections, insomnia, muscle aches and pains, slow circulation, stress, tension, wounds. To use this oil for its uplifting properties it may be added to a bath (hand, foot, or whole), or diffused into the air."

I use this one on my face every morning, so rejuvenating.  Smells good enough to eat.


Ok, this is so painful.  I want to add about 20 more to this list, but this is where you come in.  Go forth, get your essential oil on!!

Do not be daunted by all of the information out there.  Learning is good and with essential oils, it can go REALLY deep.  Go there, it's worth it.  If you have any questions, ask any essential oil geek near you.  And if you are one of those geeks, please share your top 3 with us in the comments!

Any of you that know my sis Ashley Kahl at The Ugly Homemaker, feel free to order from Mountain Rose Herbs off of her website.  It is an amazing Oregon company providing a quality product.




2 comments:

  1. Love this post Katie. I am very interested in learning more about the benefits of herbs. I have been wanting to start Ivy on something that will help with her asthma but want to make sure I give her the correct dose.

    ReplyDelete