Friday, May 11, 2012

I do not get an A+




I've always had to work EXTREMELY hard for my A's.  I wasn't born with the smarts.  My sister got all of those.   

People(who obviously don't know me very well!) tend to think that because I  passionately write about food and health that I am somehow really good at practicing what I preach.  Yeah....NOT always true.  Not even mostly true!  I try.  Sometimes I succeed.  Sometimes I fail.  This is just as much a learning experience for me.

Let me give you an example.  I had a really bad day in terms of healthy eating the other day.  Really bad.  My kids had pop and Dairy Queen in the same day.  Then we got working outside so late that I never fit in making dinner.  Bean ate a pop tart and 2 waffles for dinner.  Ida had goats milk and dry noodles.

If you were to look through my cupboards, you would find a lot of organic stuff.  You would find my hippy stash of essential oils, supplements, coconut oil and such.  BUT, you would also find swiss miss hot chocolate packets and a jar of Skippy peanut butter.  You may also catch us eating a Little Caesar's pizza or some Yami's teriyaki chicken and rice. 


I have these moments...



I try to make a Vitamix every day, but sometimes I don't.  Sometimes I forget to take my supplements.  Heck, there are certain days that go by and I have forgotten to eat a single fruit or vegetable.  

All we can do is the best we can in our own circumstances.  I fail a lot, but it doesn't mean that I'm not going to try better the next time.  Eating healthy and taking your entire life down the "hippy highway" are not easy things to do, but they are things that I strive for.  Failing is not an excuse, but we all do it.  Cut yourself some slack and make the choice to educate yourself and do better next time, and the next time, and then the next time....until it finally sticks. 

Sometimes it's a matter of the will.  Sometimes you have to rely on God to be your strength.  Sometimes it's just a matter of try, try, trying again until it becomes a habit you'd like to keep.  We are all different and we aren't all going to achieve things in the same way or on the same timeline.  Set goals and go for them, while knowing that if you mess up, there is always tomorrow.


Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. -Proverbs 16:3


 God will help you with whatever you ask him for, whether it be about big stuff or the little things.  Whether you are trying to eat better, pray more, become more educated about something or completely change your lifestyle, it can be done one step at a time.  Whatever you do...



Every change is a process.  It takes time.

 

5 comments:

  1. Boy, oh Boy, did I need that this morning. Feeling crappy, trying to do this adrenal/diabetic diet thing, ugh..., Yep I am doing the best I can and I am resting in God's care to even do what I am. I will be praying for your strength, and hey, you pray for mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What!...you're not perfect?! but...but...but...now I just don't know who to model my life after Katie. Oh yeah....Jesus! Seriously though, it's so great to read this and remember trying to do better for ourselves and our families is not easy for any of us. You inspire me to do better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. And yes, Jesus would definitely be your best bet!!

      Delete