Saturday, May 5, 2012

Keeping up with the Joneses






The other day Bean and I were in the car driving home and he started asking if we could buy a different house to live in.  He started talking about other people's houses that we know.  I instantly spotted a trend.  All of these houses were bigger and nicer than ours.  Then he informs me that he doesn't like our car.

Bean just started earning a weekly allowance.  He takes out the trash, the scraps to the chickens and the recycling.  His idea of money has definitely morphed.  Although he has learned more respect for money, he has also developed a strong desire for MORE.  Isn't this familiar?

We all have those moments when we want MORE and we have the burning desire to keep up with the Joneses.  Society bombards us with messages that we need to have a certain amount of things, a certain type of house and certain types of clothes to be...well...part of it all.  We will have to go places where we will FEEL judged.  We go to school, work, the grocery store and church.  And realistically, many WILL judge us. 

How do we stop ourselves from this insatiable want for more?  How do we stop comparing ourselves to others?  How do we stop feeling inadequate because we see that someone else has the latest fashion, the nicer house, the BEST marriage and their kids are immaculately dressed and obedient???  Want to know the secret?  Well, although I would love to say that I discovered it, I didn't.  I had nothing to do with it.  The answer is.........THANKFULNESS.  Duh.  We knew that.  So why not practice it more?




I know I could practice thankfulness more.  Sometimes it gets put on the back burner.  At times it gets swallowed up by the case of the wants.  We can only hope and pray that our children will grow with the knowledge that they are blessed. Don't forget that they must be taught and modeled thankfulness.  When our kids truly understand thankfulness, they won't have to grow up living in a mountain of debt and self pity, but in the peace of knowing that they can live joyfully with what He has given us.

Bean.  You have a Mom and Dad who love you.  If you get upset with us, remember we are only human.  We will make a lot of mistakes and you won't always like us.  We don't have the nicest house, a brand new car and your mother will never dress fashionably.  But, you get to grow with the knowledge that there is a God in heaven who loves you so much.  As your parents, we feel privileged that God borrowed you to us and can't wait to see what you will become.  You don't need to focus your energy on things you don't have.  Start living with what you HAVE. 

Bean doesn't need me to constantly tell him what he has to be thankful for.  It can be frustrating when you try and convince your kids that they are blessed, but we try anyways.  I know I have.  Let your kids see your own thankfulness, they just might follow your lead.



  

 


1 comment:

  1. Ah Katie...what great wisdom! Your children are blessed and I pray they will see your thankfulness and, in turn, be thankful for the blessings God has given them.
    Other than showing our own thankfulness, I don't know how we can stop that ugly cycle. I only know that I've learned it. After "having it all" and having lost it all, I can honestly say that none of those things listed above (money, career, car, home, status) is meaningful. What is important to me is my family, my daughters and granddaughters, my parents and siblings. I pray I don't have to learn to be thankful without even them in my life, but all the rest is so incredibly unimportant now...
    Continue to be thankful Katie, and continue showing your children how to thank God for everything He's given them! You're an awesome mom!
    Sharon H.

    ReplyDelete