Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Scrubbin' those pearly whites.




Keeping teeth white and clean typically includes a trip to the dentist, Colgate toothpaste and whitening strips.  Can I convince you to do things a little differently?  What if it meant seriously reducing your exposure to harmful toxins?  Interested?  I hope so.

I have been making my own toothpaste for the last couple of years.  Okay, so it looks like mud and it doesn't foam.  It's something one must get to used to...I GET that.  However, I have grown to love it and know that what I am putting on my and my children's teeth and gums is not only good for them, but NOT harmful in any way shape or form.

The toothpaste you buy from WalMart contains harmful chemicals including Sodium Laurly Sulfate and fluoride.  It's time we stop this chemical insanity and start looking at healthy alternatives for our teeth and gums.

So...here is my toothpaste recipe.

Equal parts Redmond Clay and Xylitol.
(if you can't find it or don't want to pay shipping, ask me where I get mine!)

Add in a little virgin, cold pressed coconut oil.

Then a little baking soda.

Add peppermint, eucalyptus, clove or wintergreen essential oil to taste.


Notice how I didn't add the amount of each ingredient?  That's because I never measure! I just add what I think seems right.  The coconut oil and baking soda should be only about 1/4 or less of the amount of xylitol and redmond clay you add, but it really doesn't matter as long as you are happy with how it turns out.  When you have all the ingredients in there, add some warm water to make it all mash together.  You might like yours thick, you might like it a little more runny(I prefer it runny).  Either way, you are creating a concoction that will give your teeth an experience in natural cleansing.  You could eat this and it wouldn't harm you ONE bit!  Look at the warning labels on your toothpaste.  Then you can decide what you would rather use.  And what you would rather have your children use and possibly ingest.

In between this homemade toothpaste, I use Peelu Dental Fibers.



The toothpaste I mentioned above, along with the use of these peelu fibers brighten your teeth without the use of the harmful chemicals.  Listen, my teeth may not be white as a sheet of paper, however, they are not yellow!  Next time you see me, judge for yourself.  We were not meant to have teeth that are the shade of white out, however, we don't need to live with coffee stained teeth either.  So please, consider this for your dental health needs.  If you try it and you think I'm wrong, then go and buy your Colgate. 

If you have any questions about where you can find these products, I would be happy to point you in the right direction.

And if you follow this regimen, I promise you won't end up looking like this...



No comments:

Post a Comment