Saturday, June 23, 2012

Closet Christian

  
How do you know if someone is a Christian or not?  I sometimes wonder if people who don't know me very well would know that I was a Christian.  I know several people who leave me wondering about their faith.  Unless it's written across our forehead, how would they know?





Wearing a crucifix or putting a Jesus bumper sticker on your car doesn't qualify us as a Christian.  We know that.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good Jesus Freak shirt or bumper sticker.  But, there has to be more.  We have to speak it and show it.  Christian's don't all look the same and they certainly don't all act the same.  Some are a little stuffy, some are rough around the edges and some are the nicest people you'll ever meet.  Some work very hard at bettering themselves through Christ and some give Christianity a bad name.


No matter where you fit in, if you are a Christian, we all hold one thing in common.  Jesus.  And we all have a duty to spread His word through our ACTIONS.  Don't forget that people are watching you, trying to figure out where you stand with this whole Jesus thing.  Looking to you as an example of how a Christian lives their life.  Let's be examples of love and not hate.  People who stand firm in our faith and don't give in to "the times".  Who proudly proclaim their beliefs, never hiding in shame or embarrassment.




And to those of you who aren't believers, don't forget that Christians aren't one size fits all.  That we are a work in progress and we make a lot of mistakes just like the next person.  I have messed up plenty of times and rest assured I will again.  Most of us don't think that we are better than you and we understand that you have probably had a bad experience with a Christian before.  I'm sorry about that.  Give us a chance.




So let's step out of the closet and let our Jesus freak flags fly high!  We all have our own way of expressing our beliefs.  Some share their convictions loud and clear while others show theirs quietly.  It takes all kinds.



Let's not forget...if we decide to sport that tattoo, t-shirt or bumper sticker....we better behave ourselves!  Wearing our faith in such an obvious way comes with a big responsibility.  But don't forget, we're not perfect.  The only ones who expect us to be are those that are looking for a reason to hate.  Take the risk of showing and speaking your faith when the opportunity presents itself.



Pray for God to give you boldness in your life to speak his word and to live your life according to his instruction.  I know I need all the help I can get.  I'm terrible at this!



"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.  Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." 


Ephesians 6:18-20






No comments:

Post a Comment