Thursday, June 14, 2012

Man's best friend needs to eat too.



Meet Chief.





About one month ago, Chief had a really bad seizure.  Something that has never happened before and scared the crap out of us!  We couldn't figure out why a perfectly healthy dog would have a seizure. 


I asked myself questions about how Chief's diet could possibly contribute to the seizure.  I feed him a mix of scraps and dog food.  I don't buy any special dog food, but don't feed him the worst either.  However, I found out that even the "decent" dog foods are full of horrid ingredients and are incredibly unhealthy for our hairy friends.  Shocking right?  Just think about the chemicals food producers put into our food.  I can't even imagine how much worse off dog food must be.


So here is what I decided to do.  Make my own dog food, in addition to feeding an organic dry dog food.




I started by making my base, some brown rice.





Then I raided my fridge for any leftovers that I knew would not get eaten.  It included some steak, breakfast sausages, green beans and roasted potatoes.  I chopped them all up.





Then I scrambled some eggs.


I added a few other things that I knew would be beneficial such as flax seed(chia seed preferred), coconut oil, real salt, chicken broth and some expired granola.

I mixed all of it together and put the excess in the freezer.  I use this along with the dry organic dog food(since it's expensive).  It really wasn't too hard to do and it's an awesome way to use up leftovers that you may normally throw out.  You don't always have to do it, but can when you have the time.  Your dog will love any of your leftovers including rice, meat, veggies, etc.  No need to let anything go to waste.

And don't forget to add some good ole' diatomaceous earth to the mix right before you give it to your friend. 



They're worth it!  And for the record, Chief hasn't had any more seizures and I'm praying for the best.

I would love to hear any ideas or experience you may have with making your own dog food.

No comments:

Post a Comment