Monday, June 18, 2012

Let's go shopping. The basics.



This is how I felt when I began my quest towards healthier eating.  I was intimidated, overwhelmed and confused.  There was so much information out there and I didn't even know where to start.  This post is for those of you that want to make changes in the foods you buy, but don't know how to start.  I am not going to go into a lot of detail on each item for the sake of time, so excuse me for being general.  I wouldn't want you getting bored now would I?  It will also give you the opportunity to dig for more information.




Most bread is filled with tons of preservatives and chemicals that help it maintain elasticity.  A REAL loaf of bread will only last a couple of days if it's left on the counter.  I currently buy my bread from Trader Joe's because it's the only place I can find bread for a decent price that isn't chock full of junk.  The more whole grains the better, however I totally understand you need good ole' white for certain things too!  Store it in the fridge to keep it free from mold.  I have yet to find a bread here at the local Safeway that I would feed to my family, except for the Ezekiel bread in the frozen section(but I think it's sick!).




Pasteurized regular old milk is terrible.  Unhealthy cows fed bad food can't be expected to produce a healthy product. 

Although raw milk is best, I understand most people won't go for it and it's not readily available.  You're second best will be organic milk from a good company.  I really like Organic Valley because their milk is not only organic, but the cows are pasture raised.  Just because a milk carton says organic, it doesn't mean that the cows will be allowed to go out on pasture, it just means they were fed organic feed.



Eggs should be bought from a local farm or even better from your own backyard.  If that isn't possible, please read this old post I wrote all about what kind of eggs you should look for in the store.  Labels are EXTREMELY deceiving and are not always what they say.  Please, get educated.  Eggs can be extremely nutritious if you take the time to buy the right kind.






Buy real butter.  There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for buying margarine(shudder).  It is so horrible I don't even know where to start.  Just take my word for it.  You're not going to die a terrible death if you get real butter, if you wanted to do that just keep buying the margarine.




All sugar, organic or not, is not good for us.  Let's just get that straight.  However, I'm sure we all have a bag in the cupboard.  Sugar should not be white, that means it's been refined, which makes it even that much more horrible!  I buy the above brand from COSTCO, it's a big bag at a very good price and lasts a long time.


Just look at the list of ingredients on a jar of Jiff peanut butter.  It just ain't right.  The only ingredients on your jar of peanut butter should be peanuts and salt.  Otherwise, your body will be playing battlefield with a bunch of nasty preservatives.



Fruits and veggies should be bought from a trusted farm, next best being the organic section at the local grocery store.  Hopefully you have a garden during the summer months.  Produce is so important.  It's something most of us don't eat enough of and when we do, we're eating the wrong kind.  I get a lot of produce through Bridgeport Farms and Gardens out on Bridgeport Road outside Dallas(ask them about ordering additional healthy food and produce through Azure Standard).  I also have a garden during the summer and occasionally buy from Safeway(in a pinch) or Trader Joe's.


I hope you get off to a good start!  Baby steps.


And remember, even if you end up throwing a twinkie in the cart, it's not the end of the world!  Just eat it in the car before you get home(*wink). 






4 comments:

  1. Twinkies are so sick. Nothing like a little beef fat in your dessert...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our bodies are a temple... funny how the general Christian public uses that to make tattoos and peircings a sin while eating their BK triple stack heart attack after church.

    ReplyDelete