Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Financial wake up call.







The other day, my husband and I realized that we were slipping in the financial department.  We have always been fairly responsible with our finances, but we noticed a trend.  We were spending our money as if we DESERVED it.  We were eating out too much and we were buying a few things here and there that we typically would not have.


This isn't the first time this has happened.  Can you relate?




Whenever my husband gets a raise, we think wahoooooo!!!!  Then we find out that it doesn't really make that much of a difference.  We just spend it.  We don't really NEED it.  Pretty soon, you come to realize that no matter how much money you make, you will always find something to spend it on, whether you need it or not.




How much money do we waste on frivolous things?  Yes, some of those "frivolous" things aren't all that bad, in moderation.  However, as Americans we waste so much money.  Especially when we realize how bad other people are hurting.








It's not my money.  It's God's money.  As Americans, our lifestyles can quickly turn into an insatiable want for more. 






I don't DESERVE anything.  But nonetheless, God blessed our family with an income.  Money that He has entrusted to our care.  Sure makes me think twice about that project that just HAS to be done right now or the clothes that my kids supposedly NEED.  My so called needs can't hold a candle to the needs of others.


Lord, please remind me of these scriptures....DAILY!


 Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."  Luke 12:15


What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?  Mark 8:36


The decision to live with less and give more is hard as Americans.  We are constantly faced with temptations.  I WILL do better. 




1 comment:

  1. This is good considering I will be leaving work and most likely not going back after 2 kids. Trying not to stress about making ends meet but somehow the Lord ALWAYS provides for us. So thankful!!

    ReplyDelete